Skincare loves company. And we love to pair up some our favourite ingredients and star performers to really rev up results. Here’s how (and what) we like to couple up…
Teaming up two active products is a great way to prompt your skin into action. First, a couple of things to remember about layering;
- Order is everything
What you apply and in what order you apply is super important. When layering skincare, always start with the lightest formulation (eg. a mist) through to the heaviest (eg. an oil). Ideally, you’ll also leave around 60 seconds between layers to allow your skin to absorb each product and avoid pilling (where product starts to ball or clump on the skin).
- Press don’t rub
The other important application tip that makes for successful skincare layering is the way you apply it. Patting and pressing product rather than rubbing it into your skin will prevent pilling. This is especially important when applying any makeup over the top of your skincare. You don’t want to undo all that great skincare prep underneath.
- AHAs get priority, always
Exfoliating agent Glycolic Acid has a small molecular structure which means it needs to be applied to clean skin first in order to efficiently penetrate the surface layers and get to work. So if you’re looking to layer two of our excellent correcting serums to fight hyperpigmentation or acne scarring then apply Even Blend Serum first, followed by Rejuvenate 15 Serum for a one-two cosmeceutical punch.
Certain Ingredients Play Better in Pairs
We know you know your ingredients but what’s even more important to know is the importance of ingredient combining. Why? Because many don’t mix well together and can cause irritation and formulation instability while others are only effective or stable when supported by another. Some examples of ingredient power couples we really rate:
- Vitamin C & E
A highly effective antioxidant with amazing brightening and skin-refining powers, Vitamin C can also be volatile and unstable. Yet when combined with Vitamin E, it has a stabilising effect and helps Vitamin C do its best work without irritating the skin or oxidising when exposed to air.
- Glycolic Acid & Vitamin C
Combine the exfoliating powers of AHA superhero Glycolic Acid with the brightening abilities of antioxidant Vitamin C and skin magic happens. Together, these two are definitely a pigment-correcting powerhouse and help to significantly improve skin tone, clarity, texture and radiance.
- Green Tea & Caffeine
Both potent antioxidants, your free-radical protection and repair benefits double when these two connect. Green Tea soothes and hydrates while Caffeine helps to reduce puffiness and revitalise, making them a helpful duo to improve puffiness and excess fluid, especially under the eyes.
Three of Our Favourite Pairings
Follow our lead with these high-performance pairs:
DIY FACIAL REJUVENATION
- Layering in a little DIY skin needling with our Derma Roller after cleansing and before you apply a targeted serum like our clinically proven EXPERT Reset Skin-Firming Peptide Serum not only allows those active cosmeceutical ingredients to get deeper into the skin but means you won’t end up using as much product. On a freshly needled skin, a little serum will go a lot further.
TEAM EYE BRIGHTENING
- Our EXPERT Revive Smoothing Eye Treatment is a star performer when it comes to reducing the appearance of dark circles and puffiness and improving elasticity. Yet prepping the skin around your eyes with our Enzymatic Micropeel beforehand will help to further refresh skin and refine fine lines and wrinkles.
ULTIMATE HYDRATING DUO
- For skin in need of serious nourishment first cleanse with our AHA-spiked L-Lactic Cleanser to wipe away dead skin cells and clean up congestion. Then follow with our super-nourishing Multi-Active Oil to help soothe and boost hydration and barrier protection with excellent antioxidant CoEnzyme Q10.
Has Summer got your skin feeling super thirsty? Read our guide to dealing with dehydration here.