At Skinstitut, we’re big on honest advice and workable solutions for real-life skin concerns. That’s why we’re fans of Renee Hogan. Not only does she have great style and seriously good curls, but her skincare insights are spot on.
A long-time Skinstitut fan, Renee has been open about her struggles with acne and scarring, as well as other concerns like Keratosis Pilaris (a condition that causes rough patches and small, acne-like bumps on the skin), dehydration and uneven tone.
So we jumped at the chance to chat to Renee about her skincare advice, her daily routine, and the formulas she can’t live without.
Read on for the skintel!
Skinstitut: How did you first become interested in skincare?
Renee: “It was actually when I discovered Sarah’s Day on YouTube. Sarah (a health and fitness YouTuber) made a video series all about clearing her acne-prone skin. I also had acne at the time, which was progressively getting worse after I stopped taking the birth control pill, and her content is what kicked off my own skincare journey.”
Amazing! What about your teenage years – any regrettable skincare habits you can share with us?
“Yes! I had severe acne when I was a teen. I was exfoliating every night with a super rough formula, so you can imagine the damage it did to my skin. My acne became so much worse. Before I understood ingredients, I’d layer all sorts of harsh products I’d picked up at the chemist. I’m so glad I’m past that.”
What is your skin like currently – do you have a skin type, or anything you’re working towards?
“My skin is the best it's ever been. I don't have one active pimple right now… I thought the day would never come! I do have some light texture and scarring from past breakouts but it's almost unnoticeable. I'm very grateful for the skin I have, after struggling for years.
“As for my skin type, I’d say it’s combination. I do notice large pores and the odd blackhead, some uneven tone. My biggest insecurity is the red bumps on the back of my arms, it's called Keratosis Pilaris, but I have found using Skinstitut’s 10% Vitamin C Super Serum has noticeably reduced the redness.”
What does your skincare routine look like right now?
“Well, this is my morning routine:
- To prevent stripping my natural oils, I like to wash my face with just water in the morning.
- Hydrating mist! I love this step because it helps with serum absorption.
- I change between Hyaluronic Serum and Vitamin C Serum.
- Moisturiser to lock in all the hydration.
- SPF50+, always!
“And my nighttime routine is here:
- I love a cleansing oil before I shower to remove my makeup.
- Glycolic Cleanser 12% for a deeper cleanse. I like to double cleanse at night to remove the dirt and makeup that’s accumulated during the day.
- Hydrating mist again.
- I rotate Retinol Serum and Hyaluronic Acid Serum. I only use Retinol every three days to avoid irritation, but it’s significantly reduced my pigmentation.
- Eye cream.
“I also love to exfoliate, and I apply a face mask at least once a week.”
What ingredients do you swear by?
- “Vitamin C because it targets uneven skin tone and texture. It definitely helps my skin look brighter and smoother.
- Hyaluronic Acid because my skin would be so dehydrated without it. I use it to prevent fine lines and to keep my face looking plump.
- Tea Tree Oil! Whenever I have an active pimple or a pimple I regrettably squeezed, I put Tea Tree Oil on it. It’s the best ingredient for inflamed skin in my opinion.”
What’s your approach when it comes to age prevention?
“I think there are so many things you can do to slow the signs of ageing. Dry skin is more prone to wrinkles, so I ensure my routine is very hydrating. I look for serums that have Hyaluronic Acid or Pentavitin, and always lock them in with moisturiser.
“I always go for Retinol, too, to help boost the production of collagen. And the skin around your eyes is the first to show signs of ageing so I make sure I regularly apply an eye cream.
“Lastly, but most importantly I apply sunscreen every morning! I use SPF50+. Natural tanning is not healthy and unprotected sun exposure will increase signs of ageing. I cringe at my younger years when I used to lay in the sun for hours. It’s just not worth it.”
Holy Grail Skinstitut formula?
“I use 1% Hyaluronic Complex Serum every single day. It makes my skin feel soft and smooth instantly. I never get that dry-face feeling during the day anymore. Best Hyaluronic serum I’ve used!”
And finally, what's the most important skincare lesson you've ever learnt?
“Be patient. I struggled with acne for years before my skin cleared. Stick with your skincare goal because consistency is key to achieving results.”
Shop Renee’s Edit
Want more skintel? Be sure to check out Hannah English’s complexion-changing tips right here.